Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Naivasha

Last weekend we visited Naivasha where I spent time during Peace Corps training.  It took us 4 bumpy hours to get there (poor Henry got sick) through some beautiful and diverse scenery from high dry range land to lush green tea and coffee fields.  Upon arrival we met up with my peace corps sister Eva and her 3 youngest boys at her home and were wonderfully surprised to find my Peace corps Mama Rosemary there as well.  What a great reunion. 

Along the drive to Naivasha.

Marabou are as tall as George but not nearly as handsome.

At night the hippos came out of the water just in front of our tent to much on the grass. An electric fence separated us from the beast.






The restaurant at Fishermans. This place has been run by the same family for 3 generations.

Testing the waters

Junior was just a baby during my peace corps days.  He is such a happy sweet boy now.

Eva and Gabriel. This was their first time near Lake Naivasha despite having grown up just 15 minutes away.

First time in a boat as well.

Lake Naivasha

Lots of firsts.  Chris was such a patient teacher.

How many people can you fit into a 7 person boat? 9 of course.

Taking it all in

Nathaniel




Kingfisher I believe

Our driver gave us all a good scare when he pulled into a sheltered area and came upon these hippos. I'm sure he knew what he was doing but it was still a little too close for comfort. 

around the lake this is bait....and dinner.

Happy boys.

Next morning we took a walk to the pier before breakfast.  We returned to find a dozen vervet monkeys eating the makings of our french toast.  When will we learn to secure the food!? We ate at the restaurant instead which was delicious. Ham and cheese crepes.


Those darn monkeys

It took this guy a while to figure out how to open the egg.  Unfortunately for our neighbors he got it open right on top of their tent.  Pole sana! Very sorry!

Colobus monkey



After we cleaned up our camp we headed up to Karati town to visit my home during Peace Corps training.  My Mama was so proud to show us around.  Livestock equal wealth throughout Africa and my Mama was proud to show us her kukus/chickens.  Henry made a point if catching them all to show off his new farm skills.

Henry, Mama and kuku

George, Mama and kuku

Baba and Chris walking around the neighborhood

This woman loved me and cared for me like her own during a very stressful time in my life.  I am so grateful to be able to reconnect under the best of circumstances.  We had a lovely visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment